Monday, July 21, 2008

Arrival - Saturday July 19, 2008


Shawna Dempsey here, your blogger for the 2008 festival. A mysterious writer backed out at the last minute (Todd is very tight-lipped about WHO), precipitating my invitation. Hurray! I am happy to be the replacement, happy to be here, happy to spend a week talking and writing about performance.

So. Today the artists and I straggle into Edmonton. It is a reunion of strangers. Many of us have never met but the conversations are easy, the content familiar. Our bodies demand feeding and watering. We nap. We get our bearings. We begin.

And I try to figure out how to be useful, how to provide context for the performances without imposing my reading and biases upon them, how to be respectful that every audience member's experience will be and should be different. I want to be one witness among many. I will have the privilege of seeing all the works in Visualize. I will try to be the constant audience member, not the definitive one.

No comments: