Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Margaret Dragu 2 - Wednesday July 23, 2008

I was fascinated to learn that the piece she is performing this week at Visualize is Margaret Dragu's first one-on-one. She said, "I had no idea it would be so demanding!" No kidding! The only time I have dome a one-on-one performance ("Scentbar"), I fell in love with each and every audience member. Exhausting!

"Love" is a word that has come up many times this week in talking about why we all do what we do. "Faith" is another recurring theme. Somewhat surprisingly, many of us have intensely religious backgrounds and/or current religious practices. Margaret pointed out that "practice" is something performance artists and the faithful have in common. We don't just believe, we do.

La Dragu's background is dance, and I asked her about what I perceived to be her journey away form the form. "Not at all," she told me. "Everything I do is dance."

"Form" is another recurring theme in conversation at Visualize. As Paul Couillard said at the round table discussion, "Form reveals."

And on that formal note.... Margaret and David goofed around befor David's piece, posing as Aboriginal trapper and Euro furtrader (west coast diva and Korean army dude)! Taking the piss out of monumental sculpture and the narrative of nation building, inserting themselves into "form". Making meaning wherever they go!

No comments: