Monday, July 28, 2008

the end - Monday July 28, 2008

I'm back in Winnipeg now, with post-summer-camp sadness.

Kira, Robin and I shared the equivalent of the last supper - the last breakfast - yesterday in my room. Margaret and Alexis had left way earlier (some inhumane hour) and Karen and David remained fused to their beds. So the three of us had a wrap-up (and mass emptying of our refrigerators).

What did we say about Visualize 2008? Simply that meeting each other was great. Performance artists can be so isolated. Talk about a much-maligned art form! What a relief to not have to justify or explain our very beings, and to be able to get down to talking about the work.

The dearth of audience makes Visualize more of an art lab than a series of shows. I, of course, love audience and need it for my work, so am biased. But through the week I did wish for larger viewership.

It would be so healthy for performance to get out of its ghetto, for people to see the best of the medium instead of the pop culture parody as seen in comedy and film. And so much rigorous, interesting work was presented this year at Visualize. My mind was blown - why not blow more people's?

But that is my only quibble. Through the participating artists I have learned a lot about the form I have practiced for 25 years. And I have asked myself questions that will engage me for some time (or at least until Lorri Millan answers them.)

Thanks to all the staff at Latitude, especially the head cheese, Todd. Thanks to all the artists, who I hope to see again soon. And thanks to new Edmonton friends. It feels like we lived through something together.

1 comment:

Beespeaker said...

Thanks for covering the festival Shawna. Looks like there were some very powerful works.

Safe journeys to all of you risk-takers, shit-disturbers and woe-absorbers.